Sunday, September 04, 2016

philippines 2016

This past summer, I had the opportunity to go back to the Philippines (the homeland) after 15 years. It was a pretty emotional experience to say the least. Being able to see all your relatives is something that you can't ever put a value on. But even though I got to see family and all the sights around the Philippines, it was also a reality check for me too. You never know how blessed and fortunate you are until you see the lifestyle and need in a third world country. Everything is different and maybe yeah, things aren't as grand as they are in America but it still felt like home. Yeah, the streets are crowded and it isn't as clean as it is in America, but the people are genuine and welcoming. Even after all the hardships they face, they still find a way to be hospitable and grateful with what they have. They're hard workers who don't need technology to satisfy them. Kids there play in the streets and explore the world outside. They don't complain when they don't have wifi. They don't need a new Xbox 1 or a new PS4 to satisfy their needs. They find whatever they can to play with even if it's playing hacky sack with a rock. They find joy in everyday life because every little thing they receive is a blessing to them. I'm not bashing people here in America in any way, but what I am saying is that maybe we just need to step back and reflect on how we're really living life. Our happiness shouldn't rely on the followers on our social media's or even a new video game that we get. Once you find joy in all the little things in life, then I guess you can say you've found the true joy in life (maybe?). A popular saying is that "You never know what you've got until it's gone". It's not too late to appreciate all the little things in your life. It's not too late to start living again. I've definitely learned a lot from the trip this past summer to say the least. Also a huge shoutout to the worship team at Presence of God Church in Arayat, Pampanga. Thank you for showing me what true worship looks like and for being the light in a community where the word still needs to be spread. You guys are were a huge encouragement and I can't wait to see what else is in store for you guys in the future. We should all feel fortunate to have the life we have here in the US because it's really different. But anyway, if you wanna see a bit of the Philippines through my eyes, go ahead and check out a YouTube video I made a few weeks ago: https://youtu.be/lyxlEtPhcXA   Summer 2017, I have the chance to go back to the Philippines for a mission trip with my church. It's something I'm praying about and looking forward too but it costs soooo much (so we'll see where I get that money from). I've seen a bit of the need in the Philippines and I think it's about time that we stand up and make a change. But anyway, I guess I'll end with this quote by Augustine along with a verse:

"Where your pleasure is, there is your treasure; Where your treasure is, there is your heart; Where your heart is, there is your happiness." -Augustine

"Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart" -Psalms 37:4

No comments:

Post a Comment