Friday, September 02, 2016

newark charter: a (beginning of the year) reflection

     Looking back at the past 4 years, it's crazy that everything has gone by so fast. Just 4 years ago I was a freshmen lost in a sea of  people who had known one another since elementary school. In any other high school I would've been an outcast but here, it was different. People were really open and approachable. Even though everyone had known one another already, I found a home here, at Newark Charter. Throughout these past 4 years I've learned a lot of lessons not only about being a better student, but also life lessons. Coming from a public school which assigned little to no work, it was a pretty rough transition, but I found my way soon enough. I remember in eighth grade, I had attached a letter to my application to this very school. I don't know if the administration had read it, but inside was a promise from a little 8th grader (me). I had promised them that I was not the best student, but that I would do my best to be a straight A student. I told them that I would not be the best student, but that I would strive to be the best student I could possibly be. I surely did not live up to the expectation I set for myself in that letter but one thing I got from that whole experience could be summed up in one word: chances. In no way was I the best candidate to be a student at Newark Charter, and towards the start of the school year (9th grade school year) my placement on the waiting list made me lose hope in attending one of the top academic schools in the state. But surely enough with chances and prayer, I was accepted the day before school started. The past 4 years has been a roller coaster ride of emotions and confidence. I've had my highs and lows, but in all my failures and success I have learned more than I knew I ever could here.
     No matter how many times I/we rant against Newark Charter and what they don't have, there's so many things to be thankful for. In my times of negativity I've found the motivation for positivity. Sure, we don't have a football team. Sure, we learn in a warehouse. Sure, we have one of the worst school lunches in the state. And sure, the staff isn't always perfect. But in all the things that we find flaws in, there's gotta be some type of silver lining. And of course at the end of the day, we choose to come back even though if the motivation to come is as small as a mustard seed. I've grown to learn that the school I attend is not perfect, like all schools worldwide. But in the imperfections we find, there's something amazing waiting on the other side. It's only the beginning of senior year and it's already rough, but soon enough we'll be walking across the stage at the Bob to get our diplomas. After that, it's all over. The pains and joys of Newark Charter will be gone after this (Newark Charter College 2021?). It'll be bittersweet but it's not too late to enjoy and appreciate the school that's sacrificed so much for our success in the future.
     I am truly grateful for the chance that Newark Charter's given me these past 4 years. I'm grateful for the chance to learn in these classrooms, battle on the lacrosse field, and for the chance to be the best student that I could possibly be. I'm grateful for all the genuine people in the Class of 2017 and it's truly been a joy spending the past couple of years here. I could go on and on but it's not over. It's not over just yet. Class of 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment